Image Map

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Greek Festival

The Greek Festival was this past weekend. It happens every year in September. And it is great. The Greek Orthodox church in Roanoke puts it on every year to raise money. This year they were expecting to have over 20,000 people come! They serve authentic Greek food, desserts, wine/beer, have music and dancing, and little shops set up. This is a major thing that goes on once a year and people always look forward to it. I love going because it's "part of my heritage." My dad's side of the family is from Greece and we still have some very distant relatives that live there. I remember when I was little and we would eat Greek food and my dad would tell us curse words in Greek. Most of my Greek family lives in Ohio and we rarely get to see them. Anyways, back to the festival. We have been going every year since we moved here. My dad works with a man who is on the board at the church and helps run the festival. We have some cousins in town who are members as well. I can remember when we were younger and the festival was still very small, no where near as popular as it is now, and it was still held inside the church. We we would go eat and participate in the dancing. So much has changed but it's certainly a good thing for them. The festival lasts 3 days and we usually go twice!
Roanoke Greek Festival 2012
Dolmades, Fasolakia/Green Beans, Spanakopita
Galaktobouriko, Spanakopita, Moussaka, Dolmades
 My dad and me, and a gyro!
 Gryos are delicious
 one of the food stands
 Loukoumades are the best! The dessert tents.
another big tent full of people eating
Unfortunately Jay had to work last weekend and couldn't go with us, so I found a new boyfriend. (Just kidding!) He was on night shift so I drove out to the sheriff's office and took him a couple gyros and a box of loukoumades. I like taking things to him while he is working, I know he appreciates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment