Last weekend Jay and I had our engagement pictures done! (finally!) I wanted to bring a few props to use during our photo session... and I really wanted to use a chalkboard. I searched alllll overrrrr looking for chalkboards and found nothing. I finally found some but they were tiny and I didn't really like them, and I wasn't sure how to make them cute either. So I decided to make my own!
Jay and our friends Crystal and Ryan went to the craft store together one afternoon and got all the supplies I needed. Jay picked out the board he liked and wanted me to use for it. I also got chalkboard paint, a rolly sponge brush, and chalk. I already had painters tape, primer, and a brush from previous projects.
First I lined the edge of the board with painters tape so I wouldn't get paint on the bark. I just followed the edge that was already on the board to give it a nice boarder.
Next, I put a coat of primer. I made it pretty think because I was afraid the chalkboard paint would seep through. I let it completely dry before the second coat.
Same thing for the chalkboard paint. I followed the directions on the bottle and did two separate coats, each in the opposite direction. The chalkboard paint I actually let dry over night before the second coat. I didn't think it looked thick enough so I did a third coat as well. Once the paint was completely dry, peel off the painters tape and admire the board!
In order to "condition" the chalkboard paint, the directions on the bottle said to run chalk all over the board. I did this multiple times, wiping it clean with a rag in between treatments.
TA-DA!! I love it. I turned out so good. I was thrilled to use our homemade chalkboard during out engagement photo session... and I'm even more excited to use it in our home too!
The bark on the board kept chipping off so I decided to put a clear coat over top. My mom had just re-done her kitchen cabinets and had leftover protective top coat. It goes on kinda white-ish but dries clear.
Can't wait to show you our engagement pictures with our chalkboard! I should be getting them back this week!!





No comments:
Post a Comment