I cannot believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving! And yes, you read that right... I will not be enjoying the holiday with my new husband. Such is the police wife life.
Jay is working tonight and tomorrow night. So he will come home tomorrow morning from work and go to bed, sleep all day and wake up just in time to get ready and head out to work again. I know I shouldn't be upset about this, but to be honest, I am. It's our first Thanksgiving as Mr&Mrs. I knew marrying him we would encounter work barriers throughout our life, but I still can't help feeling sad. I knew we wouldn't be spending our first married Thanksgiving and Christmas together like any other regular couple or family, but now that it's here makes it more real. (He is working on Christmas... but thankfully he will be on day shift in December!)
However, with that being said, we are having a second Thanksgiving this weekend so we can celebrate together! I'm also excited because we are hosting at our house! We are doing a "mini" Thanksgiving so it will be easier for me to prepare. Both our parents are coming over, my little sister, Jay's brother and his girlfriend, and our niece. My other sister isn't able to come home this holiday season because she is in the first year of her medical residency at Dartmouth in New Hampshire.
So this is my life now. Wife to a handsome police officer. And holidays spent without my husband. We will celebrate holidays and occasions on different days, and that is okay. What I need to remember is that it doesn't matter what day the holiday is celebrated on, we can always make it our own on another day, and what matters most are the people we spend it with!
I'm SO thankful to live near both our families though. I will be heading over to my parents house tomorrow morning bright and early to help my mom cook (and get out of my house so Jay can sleep).
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

No comments:
Post a Comment