I know dogs get sick. And I know they can have chronic illnesses and can have cancer. However, I never thought about a dog being diagnosed with diabetes? What?!
A couple weeks ago Jay noticed that Ruger was losing weight. He had been having some health issues for a few months and the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong. Jay decided to go for a second opinion and went to another vet clinic. Jay took Ruger in for an appointment on a Friday afternoon and they ran a bunch of tests, but the results wouldn't be back until that next Monday.
Monday morning comes and I get a phone call from Jay. I was thinking the worst thing possible. Jay said Ruger was diagnosed with diabetes. Jay was pretty upset about it and some decisions had to be made. Obviously we are going to treat Ruger and continue to take care of him. With medication and insulin, he will be fine. Ruger has to have insulin injections twice a day, just like a human. I never knew dogs could have diabetes. We will have to make changes to our lifestyle after we are married and make sure we aren't away from Ruger very long, or leave in the hands of someone we really trust. Of course we will do what we have to do to keep Ruger alive and healthy. He's still a young dog, 5 years old, and has many years ahead of him. I cannot wait to live with Jay and Ruger... and I'm secretly hoping Ruger likes me more than Jay, hehe.
A couple weeks ago Jay noticed that Ruger was losing weight. He had been having some health issues for a few months and the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong. Jay decided to go for a second opinion and went to another vet clinic. Jay took Ruger in for an appointment on a Friday afternoon and they ran a bunch of tests, but the results wouldn't be back until that next Monday.
Monday morning comes and I get a phone call from Jay. I was thinking the worst thing possible. Jay said Ruger was diagnosed with diabetes. Jay was pretty upset about it and some decisions had to be made. Obviously we are going to treat Ruger and continue to take care of him. With medication and insulin, he will be fine. Ruger has to have insulin injections twice a day, just like a human. I never knew dogs could have diabetes. We will have to make changes to our lifestyle after we are married and make sure we aren't away from Ruger very long, or leave in the hands of someone we really trust. Of course we will do what we have to do to keep Ruger alive and healthy. He's still a young dog, 5 years old, and has many years ahead of him. I cannot wait to live with Jay and Ruger... and I'm secretly hoping Ruger likes me more than Jay, hehe.



No comments:
Post a Comment